Saturday, August 16, 2014

School starts soon and the signs are everywhere. School supplies are in and shoppers are filling their carts with the advertized specials.  I picked up five unneeded notebooks, but how can I resists at only twenty five cents each. I remember going to grade school with one notebook and a yellow #2 pencil. We didn't have backpacks or any of the frills available today. I grew up on a farm near Huntley, Wy and had to walk about a quarter of a mile to catch the school bus. On really snowy days my dad would drive us to the bus stop, but mostly my sisters and I walked and then huddled in a culvert to protect us from the harsh Wyoming winds. We were bare legged because girls weren't allowed to wear jeans or slacks except on Fridays. In the first and second grade I wore long brown stockings, if it was cold outside.
When we would hear the bus pull up, we would pop up out of the culvert and run to get on the bus.  By the time we boarded the bus it was about half full and I always opted for a seat up front. Some of the farm boys on the bus could be downright mean, so it was safer to ride up front. Huntley school consisted of a  grade school, jr.high and high school. There was an average of twenty to twenty five students in each class.We all were farm kids and almost everyone rode a bus to school. School started at 8:30 and dismissed at 4 p.m.
The major focus at our school was to learn! Reading, writing and arithmetic. Looking back, we received a good education and no monkey business was tolerated. We had lockers to put our books and personal belongings in and there weren't any locks on them.  I don't remember anyone ever getting anything stolen!
We recited the  Pledge of Allegiance and the teacher offered a prayer to start our day. We respected our teachers and studied hard to get good grades. We had extra curricular activities like music, sports, school plays, band, FHA, FFA, etc. One thing you could count on was homework! We didn't have any television, so evenings when home, were spent doing homework. I could go on and on about what school was like when I was growing up, however that could get boring. I admire the teachers of today because it is often a thankless job and many of them put their heart and soul into their profession.  (I know, because I have many teachers in my family!)  So, give your kids a loving send off and encourage them as they start the new school year.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your descriptions of school. I don't think much has changed!

    ReplyDelete